Recipe: My Sweet Potato, Black Bean-Chipotle Burger: Creating Meat Alternatives during a Quarantine Shortage
The Hamptons Home Cook
As meat factories across the U.S. continue to close, social media venues like Tik-Tok & Reddit have become flooded with new recipes for Vegan and Vegetarian dishes.
Although I will always be a meat-eater, I’ve decided to experiment with a few meat-alternative recipes of my own within this period of quarantine.
Finding my favorite cuts of poultry, beef and pork have become more and more challenging in recent weeks.
I imagine that this culinary “scourge” is something that many Americans are actively dealing with.
As a product of such — social media seems to pointing at a new gastronomic trend for even meat-loving Americans: the gentrification of the once exclusive Vegan and Vegatarian diet.
Here’s one example of the trend:
- Two Medium Sweet Potatoes
- A Quarter of a Cup of Goya Brand Black Beans
- Two Large Tablespoons of Goya Brand Refried Beans
- A Quarter of a Cup of Chopped Scallions
- A Half of a Cup of Brown Rice
- One Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
- One Teaspoon of Salt
- Half a Teaspoon of Adobo
- Half a Teaspoon of Red Pepper Flake
- Half a Teaspoon of Chili Powder
- Half a Teaspoon of Paprika
- Two Tablespoons of Cholula Brand Garlic Hot Sauce
- Two Tablespoons of Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- Two Tablespoons of Plain Breadcrumbs
Cook your Sweet Potatoes in the Microwave for approx 10 Minutes, or until the interior becomes soft.
Remove the skin of the Sweet Potato and place into a large bowl.
Next, lightly mash your Black Beans with a large fork and incorporate into your Sweet Potato Mixture.
Add every other ingredient as mentioned above into the bowl — and stir together until a cohesive mixture is formed.
Form a medium sized patty out of your Sweet Potato mixture and place into a cast iron skillet that has been lightly greased with a cooking oil of your choice.
Cook each side of the burger on a medium heat for approx 5 minutes each or until a light brown crust is evident on each side.
- Two Slices of Seven Seed Bread
- Two Pads of Butter
- Half of an Avocado
- A Tablespoon of “Everything Bagel” Seasoning
- One Teaspoon of Mayonnaise
- Two Tablespoons of Freshly Chopped Scallions
- A Half of a Teaspoon of Chopped Cilantro
- One Squeeze of Sriracha Sauce
Let your burger cool for literally just a moment.
While it cools, butter two slices of Seven Seed bread and place in a cast iron skillet until lightly golden and toasty.
Next, add a light smear of mayonnaise to the interior slice your sandwich bread.
Finally, add your Burger with all the aforementioned toppings.
Visit The Hamptons Home Cook on YouTube, Instagram and Twitter: