The Hamptons Home Cook
A pizzetta (plural: pizzette) is a small pizza that can range in size as a finger food at around three inches in diameter to that of a small personal-sized pizza.
Although you might consider this a little bit of a cheat recipe, it certainly does the job when you’re craving a Pizzeria quality slice.
In New York, we have the luxury of local Pizzerias that will happily sell you a pizza dough for three or four Dollars.
Otherwise, grocery stores like Stop and Shop also sell fresh Pizza dough, which, with a little attention, can turn out quite well.
If you insist on making your own dough .. have fun with all that flour.
Regarding store bought .. it’s just a matter of procedure.
- One Store Bought Pizza Dough (NOT Pillsbury or any other Freezer Brand)
- Three San Marzano Tomatoes
- Two Tablespoons of Parmigano Reggiano Cheese
- Two Tablespoons of Fresh Basil
- Two Tablespoons of Diced Pancetta
- One Teaspoon of diced Red Onion
- A Quarter of a Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- One Tablespoon of Salt
- One Teaspoon of Pepper
Upon bringing your dough home from the store, place it in a bowl that has been lightly greased with olive oil.
Place the dough inside the bowl and cover the dough with a kitchen cloth.
Let the dough sit for approx. 1.5–2 Hours, or until the dough rises and expands.
Once Risen, place the dough onto a baking sheet.
Cut the dough in half (as this is only a Pizzette and not an entire Pizza).
Begin stretching the dough in a circular manner on the baking sheet.
TIP: This is an instance where the shape doesn’t have to be perfect, a Pizzette should have a rustic look to it.
After some pan stretching, put each of your fists underneath the dough and gently stretch the dough out in a circular direction.
One stretched into a circular shape, grease your baking sheet liberally with olive oil and place your dough back onto the baking sheet.
Next, brush the top of your dough with Olive Oil and layer as follows:
- Crushed San Marzano Tomato
- Sprinkles of Salt and Pepper
- Sprinkles of Parmigano Reggiano Cheese
- Tears of Fresh Basil
- Pieces of Cubed Pancetta (Conservatively)
- Peices of Chopped Red Onion (Conservatively)
- A light drizzle of Olive Oil
Ensure that all the ingredients are distributed evenly throughout the entire circumference of the pie.
Bake in an Convection Oven at 500 Degrees for 25–35 Minutes or until Golden Brown with Crispy Edges.
Visit The Hamptons Home Cook on YouTube, Instagram and Twitter: