The Hamptons Home Cook
Growing up in an Italian family .. one thing you never mess with are the classics. With that said, My Dad introduced a slightly healthier version of Eggplant Parmigiana into our household, that truly rivaled the original version. Needless to say: I’ve been addicted to making it, in my own way, ever since.
The only altercation to the original classic: We are going to strategically bake .. and not fry our eggplant.
- Two Large Eggplants
- One Cup of Unseasoned Bread Crumbs
- A Half a Cup of Parmigiano Cheese
- One Tablespoon of Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Two Tablespoons of Fresh Chopped Basil
- One Tablespoon of Salt
- One Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- Three Tablespoons of Flour
- Four Beaten Eggs
- Four Tablespoons of Half and Half
- Five Tablespoons of Olive Oil
With the skin on, Cut one inch, circular slices of Eggplant from each Eggplant, disregarding the Stem and Bottom.
Once Cut, individually dip each slice into a Mixture of Beaten Eggs and Half and Half.
Once coated in the Egg Mixture, dip each slice into the Dry Ingredient Bread Crumb Mixture until fully coated.
Finally, place Breaded Eggplant Slices on a Baking Sheet that has been greased with Two Tablespoons of Olive Oil.
Brush the top of each Coated Eggplant Slice with the additional Three Tablespoons of Olive Oil.
Place in an Oven at 375 Degrees for 10–15 Minutes.
After 10–15 Minutes, flip each Eggplant slice over and Bake for Another 10–15 Minutes.
- Two Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Four Tablespoons of Fresh Chopped Basil
- A Quarter of a Cup of Ricotta Cheese
- A Half a Cup of Shredded, Whole Milk Mozzarella
- Four-Five Tablespoons of Parmigiana Cheese
- Two Cups of Marinara Sauce (Preferably Homemade)
- A Tablespoon of Salt
- A Tablespoon of Pepper
- A Quarter of a Cup of Bread Crumbs
In a new Baking Dish that has been greased with Two Tablespoons of Olive Oil, layer as follows:
- Marinara Sauce
- Baked Eggplant Slices
- A Drizzle of Olive Oil
- A light coating of Ricotta Cheese on Each Eggplant Slice
- Sprinkle of Parmigiana Cheese
- Sprinkle of Fresh Cut Basil Leaves
- Sprinkle of Shredded Mozzarella
- A light sprinkling of Bread Crumbs
… and Repeat until there are Four-Five Layers of Sauce, Cheese, Eggplant, Basil, Olive Oil, etc ..
Place Layered Dish back into a 375 Degree Oven for 10–15 Minutes.
After 10–15 Minutes, Broil the Top Layer on Low for 5–6 Minutes.
Once out of Oven let cool for 10–15 Minutes.
Visit The Hamptons Home Cook on YouTube, Instagram and Twitter: